Western Canada Fire & First Aid’s 16-hour/ 2 day standard first aid with CPR level C course is designed for individuals who may have a delayed response (for example, work at a remote job site) to Emergency Medical Services or who work in an industrial or high-risk activity setting. Standard First Aid training is focused on Basic Life Support skills and includes AED and CPR level C training. Successful candidates will receive a standard first aid CPR level C certificate recognized by Alberta Human Resources and Employment, Workplace Health and Safety that is valid for 3 years (Note: Western Canada Fire & First Aid Inc. appears on page 6 of the List of Approved Courses). Standard First Aid courses are held at Western Canada Fire & First Aid’s training facility in Edmonton, Alberta or onsite at your location for a minimum number of students.
Who Should Attend Standard First Aid?
Western Canada Fire & First Aid’s Standard First Aid course is designed for those individuals who live or work in areas where the availability of Emergency Medical Services may be delayed and for those trying to meet Government regulations. For more information on government regulations pertaining to first aid certifications on the work site, please visit Province of Alberta – OHS Code Explanation Guide – Part 11 First Aid. First aid training is a great skill set that can be applied in various situations – at work and at home. Note: Age requirement is 14 years of age with parents consent.
Standard First Aid Course Content
- Emergency First Aid Course Content
- Principles of Safety / First Aid Legislation
- Chain of Survival, Universal Precautions
- Basic Anatomy & Physiology
- Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)
- Types of Shock, Stages of Shock & Treatment
- Cardiovascular Disease / Angina, Heart Attack, Stroke & TIA
- Basic Life Support (Initial Assessment & Primary Survey)
- Rescue Breathing & Rescue Breathing Special Considerations
- Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) & Defibrillation
- 1 Rescuer Adult/Child CPR Sequence
- 1 Rescuer Adult/Child CPR with AED Sequence
- 2 Rescuer Adult/Child CPR with AED Sequence
- Infant CPR (1 Rescuer)
- Foreign Body Airway Obstruction (Choking)
- Internal & External Bleeding, Bandaging & Slings
- Secondary Survey / Interview, Vital Signs & The Physical Assessment
- Eyes, Ears, Nose & Mouth Injuries
- Burns / Types of Burns, Chemical & Electrical Burns
- Conditions Associated with Heat Exposure / Heat Cramps, Heat Exhaustion & Heat Stroke
- Conditions Associated with Cold Exposure / Frost Nip, Frostbite & Hypothermia
- Medical Conditions / Epilepsy & Seizures, Diabetes, & Asthma
- Musculo-Skeletal Injuries / Splinting
- Head, Neck, Spinal & Pelvic Injuries
- Abdominal, Genital & Chest Injuries
- Moving & Transportation
Course Start Time: 8:30 AM (both days)
Course Duration: Approximately 8 hours (both days)
To view all upcoming courses and register online, please click here.