This course is available in both an instructor-led format and ONLINE format. For the ONLINE format select:
• Detection and Control of Hazardous Materials – Alberta
• Detection and Control of Hazardous Materials – British Columbia
The Detection Control Hazardous Materials course is designed to provide the student with the background knowledge regarding the detection and control of hazardous materials. Students will receive a certificate that is valid for 3 years.
Who Should Attend?
Persons who presently work or plan to work in an area were hazardous materials may be present.
- Introduction to hazardous materials:
- States of Matter, Characteristics of materials, Process of combustion, Combustion range, SDS’s
- Likely locations of hazardous materials
- Detection of Hazardous Materials
- Measuring vapor in air, Sampling devices (personal, portable and fixed), Function test, Calibration, Hazard Assessment, Sampling strategies, Operational range of combustible gas monitors, Correction Factors
- Control methods for hazardous vapors:
- Engineering controls, Administrative controls, PPE
- Relevant legislation