This course is a Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada TM program. Western Canada Fire & First Aid Inc. facilitates the Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada TM program for BLS. Our instructors have successfully completed the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada TM program for a BLS Instructor and are approved to provide the BLS course. The Heart and Stroke Foundation BLS Course has been updated to reflect the new science in the 2015 Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care. This video-based, instructor-led course teaches both single rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both in-facility and pre-hospital settings.
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills in a wide variety of in-facility and prehospital settings. This course is also open to individuals to who have a general interest in learning CPR and how to use an AED.
BLS Course Content
- Course Introduction
- Life is Why Activity (Optional)
- 1 – Rescuer Adult BLS (Adult Chain of Survival, Scene Safety and Assessment, Adult Compression’s, Pocket Mask, 1-Rescuer Adult BLS)
- AED and Bag-Mask Devices (AED, Bag-Mask Device)
- 2 – Rescuer Adult BLS
- Team Dynamics (Team Dynamics, Successful Resuscitation Teams)
- High-Performance Teams Activity
- Local Protocols Discussion (Optional)
- Child BLS (Pediatric Chain of Survival, Child BLS, 2-Rescuer Child CPR)
- Infant BLS (Infant BLS, Infant Compression’s, Bag-Mask Device for Infants, 2-Rescuer Infant BLS, AED for infants and Children Less Than 8 Years of Age)
- Special Considerations (Mouth-to-Mouth Breaths, Rescue Breathing, Breaths With an Advanced Airway, Opioid-Associated Life-Threatening Emergency)
- Adult and Child Choking (Relief of Choking in a Responsive Adult or Child, Relief of Choking in an Unresponsive Adult or Child)
- Adult CPR and AED Skills Test
- Infant CPR Skills Test
- Remediation (if required)
Course Duration: Approximately 4 hours to 5 hours
Course Completion Card & Expiration Date: All Heart & Stroke, Basic Life Support completion cards are valid for one year from the date of successful course completion.
For the classroom based (instructor led) course call 780-469-4887 to be put on a waiting list or to request a quote to train your group at your location.