This 7-hour program provides participants with a basic level of understanding of the hazards of confined spaces and the requirements for safe entry. Participants will have the ability to apply the general information to their specific work-site and specific conditions that they may experience. Confined space pre-entry follows the guidelines, principles and recommendations established by the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Code 2009 (specific attention to Part 5 & 15) and internationally established and accepted safety standards including OSHA Standard 29 CFR Part 1910.146.
This course is not OSSA certified, please refer to our OSSA Confined Space page if you are looking for OSSA certified confined space training.
Who Should Attend?
All persons involved with entering and supervising confined spaces.
The objective of this course is to allow the participant to understand the concepts, procedures and tools that are necessary for safe entry into confined spaces. Content includes:
- Confined Space Explained
- Restricted Spaces Explained
- Oxygen – Insufficient or Excessive?
- Toxic Gases or Vapours
- Characteristics of Common Gases
- Explosive Gases or Vapours
- Safety Hazards
- Work Related Hazards
- Human Factor Hazards
- Testing the Atmosphere
- Control the Hazards:
- Ventilation, Purging and Inerting
- Preventing Fires and Explosions
- Safe Atmospheres – Continuous Ventilation
- Isolation of Physical Hazards
- Electrical Shock
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Safety and Protection – Generally
- Safe Entry Permit
- Tending Worker
- Emergency Response
Course Start Time: 8:30 AM
Course Duration: Approximately 7 hours